Learn to guide on the Main Salmon river in Idaho
SOAR Northwest and the Whitewater Rescue Institute (WRI) are joining efforts to provide a unique opportunity to develop professional skills and critical training for running rivers. Providing a 10 student to 4 instructors ratio our commitment on focused education is a priority.
Join us for a 6 days and 5 nights on the Main Salmon ‘River of No Return’ in Idaho. Our program is a hands-on experience. Dry land and on-river instruction cover a comprehensive array of skills and topics.
This 6-day floating whitewater clinic / guide school is appropriate for:
Anyone interested in working as a professional whitewater rafting guide, people interested in guiding their own private river trip(s).
Anyone who appreciates experiential learning and is interested in whitewater and river safety Adventurers seeking an active vacation experience in a beautiful Wilderness river canyon.
Our professional guides, all with whitewater rescue training and extensive guiding experience, will share with you their outdoor and river knowledge. We’ll spend each day progressing down river; learning and practicing newly acquired skills, and set camp at a different location each night. This guide school provides instruction and hands on learning, occurring both on the river, and in camp.
The River Guide Program trains you in the fundamental skills of
- Reading whitewater and scouting
- maneuvering oar rafts and paddle boats in Class I-IV whitewater
- River Hydraulics
- Raft rigging
- Tying up and anchoring boats
- River signals / how to communicate with crew
- Safety put-in talks
- Wildlife Encounters
- Equipment maintenance and repair
- Wilderness cookery & menu planning
- River conservation
- Leave No Trace Principles
- Group Dynamics
- Team Problem Solving
- Equipment Maintenance
- Food Safety & sanitation
The Swiftwater Rescue Topics
- Rescue Basics & Risk Management Rescue Organization & Communication Equipment
- Self Rescue
- Defensive and Aggressive Swimming in Whitewater Swiftwater Crossings
- Helping Conscious or Unconscious Swimmers Rescue Swimming
- Flipped Boats/ In-Flow Rescues
- Pinned Boats
- Line Crossings
- Knots, Anchors & Z Drags
- Technical Rescue Options
- Medical Considerations
- Multiple Victims
For more information on WRI go to: www.whitewaterrescue.com
Trip Dates: TBD
- Begins: Missoula Montana.
- Ends: Missoula Montana
- Cost: $1450.00 / person — spaces available: 10 — guides / instructors: 4
- Included: Guides, instructors, food, shuttles, tents, dry-bags, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, wet suit, helmet, type V pfd.
*Main Salmon trips are outfitted / provided by SOAR Northwest — SOAR Northwest is licensed and authorized to operate on the Salmon-Challis National Forest under a special use permit.